Parent Governor Vacancies - 11th November
Dear Parents and Carers
We are looking for a new parent governor
We currently have two vacancies for a parent governor. One position we would like to fill as soon as possible and the other starting in January 2021. Parent governors are elected by and from the parents of children currently attending our school. They serve a four-year term of office and bring an important and valued perspective to the work of the governing body.
The governing body has a vital role to play in making sure every child receives the best possible education. This is achieved by ensuring that governors have the necessary skills and commitment to contribute to the effective governance and success of the school. The particular skills that governing bodies need will vary and will include personal qualities and capabilities, such as the ability and willingness to learn and work as part of a team. We are especially looking for people with any of the following skills; financial, ICT, statistical, analytical and or strategic. It is expected that governors will make use of the various training opportunities available to them and play a full part in the work of the governing body.
If you become a Governor, you will be taking on the following commitments to help make sure the school is well managed:
- Share the responsibilities of the Governing Body as summarised above
- Attend and participate in meetings on a regular basis – Governors attend four Full Governing Body meetings and are normally a member of two committees which usually meet about 3 times a year each. Meetings normally last no longer than two hours. Currently, the meetings are remote
- Prior to meetings, it is expected that governors have read all paperwork sent by the clerk. This may include policies, data, reports and guidance documentation
- Undergo appropriate training
- You may also be invited to sit on appointments or other panels
What do you need to do next?
If you wish to stand as a candidate for these interesting and challenging positions, please complete and return the following in a sealed envelope to the school office (marked “Parent Governor Nomination Form”) to arrive no later than noon on Wednesday 25th November 2020.
Process for Selection and Appointment of Parent Governors
- If you decide to put yourself forward for the Parent Governor vacancy, you will need to find a parent to second your nomination. You will need to ask them to complete and sign the attached form.
- If more parents want to become Governors than there are vacancies, a ballot will be held. Ballot papers and details of the election process will be sent to all parents and carers eligible to vote.
- Each parent will have one vote. Families with more than one pupil at St Luke’s will receive ballet papers based on the number of parents in the household, which will be forwarded to parents via your oldest child at St Luke’s.
- If you put yourself forward and no ballot is necessary you will be elected unopposed from the day after the deadline for nominations passes.
- You are invited to provide a statement to support your nomination as a Parent Governor to not exceed 250 words. If a ballot is held this statement will be included on the ballot paper to help other parents decide who to vote for.
- If you are elected as a Governor your term of office will normally be 4 years. You can resign at any time. If your child leaves the school you can continue as a Governor until the end of your term of office.
- The enclosed nomination form must be returned to the Returning Officer no later than 4pm on noon on Wednesday 25th November 2020.
- If you are elected, you will be asked to apply for a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) enhanced disclosure.
In the event of an election, the timetable will be:
Ballot paper sent to Parents/Carers Monday 30th November 2020
Closing date for receipt of ballot paper Friday 4th December 2020
Count of votes: Monday 7th December 2020
We would really cherish your involvement and would be very open to discussing how you might be able to add your weight to our efforts. Please feel free to email us on email@example.com or contact us through the school office.
Mr Brian Birch
Chair of Governor